Thursday, May 3, 2012

Do Writers Read?


I am re-posting this here on Skulldust Circle because I think it is important to discuss with other readers as well as other writers!

I ask this very simple question because, a while back, I was not reading at all! I had a discussion with a friend and fellow author and we began to chat about not having time to read, with everything else happening in our lives—work, writing, editing, sports, romance, family, sleep—and the list goes on. I am sure you’ve all heard it all, right? I thought to myself: “how am I not reading!?” It was crazy! I used to read voraciously and it was what made me want to write myself so many years ago. So, I made a promise to myself to never let it happen again. So, I made time to read (and especially if you are a writer), I would hope you do, too.

One thing came up about twitter followers. Most of mine (and his for that matter), happen to be writers. He seemed to think that having writers follow you meant that they were only that: writers. I am here to say: nay! Am I right? Please say yes!

Writers should be reading! Plain and simple. It doesn’t have to be an exorbitant amount, but get it in while you can. It is quite simply a measuring stick, research, and who knows, it might teach you a thing or two! So, with that being said, I ask my audience of writers:

Do you make time to read?

Please comment and let us know what you are reading, too, if you don’t mind.

As a side note, I very much enjoy the site Goodreads and would highly recommend any and all of you to join the site! If you do, please friend me HERE!

(Photo from Stock.xchng)


1 comment:

  1. I agree, Gary. I think it is impossible to be a good writer without reading. I gave an an interview to a fanzine the other month and when they asked me what advice I'd give new writers it was to read like crazy. Both in and out of your genre. Read and read some more. I've found years of not reading fantasy have perversely helped me write better stuff!

    ReplyDelete